Sunday, October 22, 2017

Long days, short moments

I spent greater than 20 hours alone with 3 kids this weekend.  This doesn’t happen regularly at all.  Which may be the reason is why it made it seem like a day to write a bit. So, I was actually dreading the weekend a little.  We had a brief time with Tony in the mornings before he worked the rest of the day.  But, that was brief.  And that resulted in a little feeling of overwhelm.  

I know it’s the ages.  Well, mostly Nicholas’ age.  He is adorable and sweet and goofy now, but he requires 90 percent of my energy leaving only a smidge of attention for the other two.  This is the age of climbing on everything that looks dangerous, using markers on any surface, riding his bike immediately into road, tantrums for not getting to drink milk and eat cookies whenever he wants, saying ‘uppie’ minites after a meal starts, breaking his brothers forts, and constantly moving his body.  Exhausting.  Love him, but he wears me out and leaves little time to enjoy a moment with him or Evan or Colin.  I try to.  And there were a few quiet moments this weekend where I tried to actually look at them as the kids they are rather than the bodies of constant neediness and yells for Mom. 

Colin was up first this morning, so I got about 10 minutes or snuggles in bed.  One of my favorite things!  

Evan and I had a bonding moment over Minecraft, which I tried to figure out a few basics.  

Nicholas started doing this sweet thing.  Well, it started off as a hit or kick.  But we started telling him no hits, just hugs.   Ow when he hits and we say ‘no’ he reaches  over a gives out a hug.  Those hugs are adorable.  He runs into the big boys room at bedtime and gives out hugs too.  That little body squeezing his arms around me is priceless.

So, I am tired.  But missing those sweet kids while they sleep.  And as I sit here reflecting on how hard it was a share very many special moments this weekend because I was on toddler duty, I decided to sneak into their rooms to just give them a little bedtime kiss while they sleep.  My babies. My boys.  

And a reminder to slow down, when I can sneak in those bonding moments with them.  When I can see them for minute.  And appreciate this life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment