Friday, September 30, 2016

One month of school down

Evan jumped right into Eastern Elementary without a problem.  I love when he says, "my friends....", like there are his people already.  I am amazed at how easily the transition to a new school was.  His personality is so easy going and confident.  He listens.  He does what he is supposed to, usually.  He doesn't love the work, but he does it.  His favorite parts of school are 1 snack, 2 art, 3 recess, 4 lunch. He is smart.  Math is boring because he tests a grade level higher.  Spelling tests are new this year and  he is getting there.  Definitely appropriate level for him, but we are not used to memorizing to spell words.  Before, the thought was just to write however you think it is spelled.  He is liking flag football, despite 2 weeks ago not knowing what a quarterback was.   He isn't the most athletic, but he loves the excitement of being on a team and socializing with the kids.  And running around is good too.  He is a new Cub Scout.  We will be selling popcorn at Walmart for 3 hours after school today.  He is excited!  We are half way through Order of the Phoenix.  Love this story reading time with him.    Our family has become a little Harry Potter obsessed over the past 6 months.  He is kind, quiet, and innocent, yet showing signs of being a big kid.

Colin struggles with school.  He was last spring too.  He completely forgot about school this summer.  And I was hoping he would forget those sad moments too.  After the past 4 weeks it has gotten harder.  He wakes up early with tears.  He talks all week about how many more days he gets to stay home.  He talks about th bad stuff at school frequently, even though I am sure that hitting and kicking is not tolerated there.  He obsesses about th behavior of other preschoolers.  He tells me he misses me and just wants to stay with me.  It makes me feel happy and breaks my heart at the same time.  I don't want him to miss me.  I want him to always be happy.  He has good days at school and doesn't cry after our goodbyes.  He just likes being safe and comfortable with us.  Can't blame him.  But we are trying to help him be brave and ease into life outside our home.  He only goes 2 days a week right now, but when I start my full time job in December, he will go 3-4 days.  Colin is the most amazing 3 year old Lego builder.  He sees himself as a 7 year old and relates better to Evan and his friends than to his peers.  He is our energetic boy, who occasionally pushes the rules, but he has those sweet smiles and laughs that I want to hold on to.


No comments:

Post a Comment